Members: Emma Rault, Matthew Quiocho, Joe Zhou
The Committee on Homelessness is tasked with reviewing local issues and concerns in relation to the City’s Comprehensive Homeless Strategy, which establishes up front that the City cannot achieve a reduction in homelessness unilaterally. Central to an effective system to reduce homelessness is on-going coordination with the County of Los Angeles, existing non-profit providers, and Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (LAHSA).
- For information on the Bridge Home at 407 N. Beacon Street or the County Shelter at 122 W 8th Street, please call Harbor Interfaith Services at 310-831-0603.
- For information on the Navigation Center at 2165 John S. Gibson Blvd, please call the Volunteers of America at 213-334-1633.
- There are Case Workers available to assist those experiencing homelessness at both Harbor Interfaith and the Navigation Center facilities.
- 2020 Greater Los Angeles Homeless Count: San Pedro Presentation 8-18-20
COMMITTEE MEETING AGENDAS & DOCUMENTS:
- 07-14-22: Homelessness Committee Meeting: AGENDA | Zoom Recording
- 1-10-22: Homelessness Committee Meeting: AGENDA
- 9-08-21: Homelessness Committee Meeting: AGENDA | Zoom Recording
- CD15-Working Group Notes-April-2021
- 11-2-20: Homelessness Committee Meeting: AGENDA
- 9-29-20: Homelessness Committee Meeting: AGENDA
- 9-2-20: Subcommittee CAB Meeting: AGENDA | Zoom Recording
- 8-4-20: Special Subcommittee CAB Meeting: AGENDA
- 7-20-20: Special Subcommittee CAB Meeting: AGENDA
- 7-8-20: AGENDA
- Support Documents for 7-8-20
- 6/3/20: Agenda
- 6/2/20: CD15-Working-Group-on-Homelessness
- April & May: No meetings held due to pandemic
- 3/3/20: Meeting Cancelled
- 2/24/20: Agenda
- 2/4/20: CD15 Working Group Notes
- 1/31/20: Agenda | Meeting Notes
- 1/20/20: CD15 Working Group Notes
- 1/8/20: Agenda | Resolutions
- LAUSD Student Support Programs
- LAUSD Community Resources for Families
- Vehicle Dwelling – Allowed Areas Map
- Link to LA-HOP (Los Angeles County Homeless Outreach Portal)
- View the Results of the 2019 Homeless Count.
HOMELESSNESS RELATED NEWS:
Temporary homeless shelters in San Pedro, Wilmington, set to open July 6
When Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti rolled out his Bridge Home program, the temporary shelters were supposed to go up quickly throughout the city. But it all got bogged down in bureaucracy and higher-than-expected costs.
Homelessness In Los Angeles County Rises Sharply
LA's annual homeless count, released Friday, shows that 66,433 people now live on the streets, in shelters and in vehicles within the county. That's up 12.7% from 2019. Within LA city limits, the number of people experiencing homelessness is 41,290, a 14.2% increase over last year.
Project Roomkey Has Placed 9,400 Homeless People Into Temporary Hotel Rooms. Now What?
In April, when Governor Newsom announced Project Roomkey — aimed at moving 15,000 homeless Californians into rented hotel rooms — it was lauded as a "win-win." Homeless people would get to come indoors, and hotels would get to recoup lost income from the collapse of the tourism industry.
Supervisor Hahn Selects Harbor Interfaith to Operate Shelter
The remodeled County facility has 40 beds for homeless single individuals living on the streets, focused on those around the post office as well as their pets. The facility provides the community and individuals the safety they need while case managers work to find them housing.
Governor Newsom Announces Accelerated State Action on Homelessness
Los Angeles County to receive 30 travel trailers, as well as medical services tents, to assist individuals experiencing homelessness. LA County is the second local partner to receive these resources as part of the Governor’s executive order accelerating state action on homelessness
San Pedro Shelter Update from Janice Hahn
Janice Hahn: "My plan for a 40-bed, 3-year temporary emergency shelter at the empty County Health building at 122 W. 8th St. San Pedro was approved by the Board of Supervisors at Tuesday's meeting.... On Thursday night I headed to the Central San Pedro Neighborhood Council to tell them more about this plan. It received unanimous support from the council members."
- BOARD OF SUPERVISORS APPROVES FUNDING TO HELP INCREASE THE COUNTY’S AFFORDABLE HOUSING STOCK (Posted 1-20-20)
- San Pedro Shelter Update from Janice Hahn (Posted 1-15-20)
- Plan for 3-Year Emergency Shelter in San Pedro Approved by Board of Supervisors (Posted 1-13-20)
- COUNTY DEVELOPS ACTION PLAN FOR HOMELESSNESS PREVENTION (Posted 12-16-19)
- CONFRONTING THE CRISIS (Mayor Garcetti’s Update 12-4-19)
- Link to LAHSA 2019 Housing Inventory Count released 9-19-19
- Councilmember Mike Bonin of CD11 – Homelessness Newsletter
- Frequently Asked Questions About What is a Bridge Home?
- Link to Council File 17-1432 Proposed Ordinance Re: Use of Existing Hotels and Motels for Supportive Housing and/or Transitional Housing. Proposed Ordinance
- Link to Council File 17-1422 Proposed Ordinance amending the Los Angeles Municipal Code establishing regulations to facilitate the production of Permanent Supportive Housing. View proposed Ordinance
- 11/5/16 – LA Animal Services, Downtown Dog Rescue, Inner City Law Center and Spay4LA bring services for pets to Skid Row. Read article here.
- HOMELESS COUNT REPORT FROM LAHSA
- City Council’s Comprehensive Homeless Strategy Plan
- County’s Homeless Initiative Plan
- The “No Place Like Home” Initiative – California State Comprehensive Budget Plan to Address Homelessness in our Local Communities. Read Here.